Monday, December 17, 2012

Celebrating the Light in the Darkness


This past weekend I took a long weekend away from Raleigh and traveled home for my cousin, Ilana's Bat Mitzvah. I flew into BWI on Thursday night, which was nice because I had an evening at home with my parents before the weekend craziness began. 

I slept so well that night that when I woke up on Friday morning, I was so confused and didn't remember where I was! The rest of the day was about relaxing and taking it easy. Mom and I caught up on Glee, had brunch and watched the Sandy Hook coverage on the news until we left for Friday night services and Ilana's Bat Mitzvah dinner in Silver Spring. 

This is the best part - when we got home Dana was waiting for us! 

On Saturday morning we all went back to Silver Spring for Ilana's Bat Mitzvah servcie where she read beautifully from the torah and get a speech about the message of Hanukkah and about bringing light to those in need when times are dark. She did a great job! We are so proud of her!

Later that evening she had her Mermaid themed (!) party in the basement of the synagogue and Dana and I were in charge of the tye-dye t-shirt station where party guest could make shirts that will be donated to a local shelter. We had so much fun! I'm so glad that I got to catch up with family and friends that I don't get to see very often.


On Sunday morning Dana and I made 2 batches of Rum Balls (one of our favorite Christmas cookies) and then we went for a walk around the neighborhood before I flew back to Raleigh to be reunited with Aaron and Skwisgaar! Burt Hummel said it best this week on Glee, "You've got to hold the people you love the most close to you, no matter what." I got to hold most of mine all in one weekend!

Even though we didn't have enough time to do everything that we wanted to get to over the weekend (hot tub, going to see Anna Karenina, watching Brave together, or having lunch at Wegman's) it was a really good weekend. 

Hope you had a good weekend too!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - Ilana looks like a grown up!
    Congrats!(Mazel Tov!)

    - SUTA (or was I FUTA?)

    ReplyDelete