Tuesday, April 23, 2013

National Picnic Day 2013


Today, April 23rd, is National Picnic Day! 

Eating outside in the beauty of nature has been a common tradition for centuries. Our modern-day idea of a picnic evolved from Medieval feasts that were eaten in the field during hunting season as well as posh Victorian garden parties, which involved multiple courses and elaborate preparations.

My favorite memories of picnicking are from when our family would go on Summer vacation to Bethany Beach in Delaware. We would pack up a cooler with sandwiches, snacks, Mondo drinks and cookies then head out to the beach for the day. My dad would dig out a sand pit for my sister and me complete with windows, shelves, benches, and of course a cup holder for my Mondo!

When we were in college, Aaron and I would often go with our friends to pick up dinner from the Kroger in Athens and take it to Strouds Run State Park for a sunset picnic. It was a great way for us to enjoy a meal that wasn't dining hall food, and to get out of the dorms for a few hours. 

Even though we are having a few days of chilly weather here in Raleigh that aren't the best for picnicking, I hope we will get to enjoy a picnic in one of the amazing parks in our area this Spring. Happy National Picnic Day! What are your favorite Picnic foods?

0 comments:

Post a Comment