Tuesday, June 18, 2013

From the Archives: Jadite Glassware in Movies

How about a little blast from the past? Here is one of my favorite posts from the archives, not of this blog, but of my blogging history. You never know what might pop up! Jadeite lovers unite!

One day when I was doing a word association exercise with the list of words that I keep in my notebook for blog inspiration, I had a light bulb moment! I thought, "I should combine two of my favorite things that I usually post about separately, into one post!" From this brain blast, the post about Jadite glassware seen in movies was born!

Jadite, or sometimes Jadeite, was manufactured by several companies such as Fenton, McKee, and Anchor Hocking between 1942 to the mid 1970's. The Fire King line (my personal favorite) came in four main designs called, "Restaurant Ware", "Alice", "Jane Ray" and "Charm". 

I have a small but growing collection of Jadite pieces. I have been steadily collecting Jadite since I was in high school and I truly love every piece that I have. I have cups, chili bowls, a batter bowl, and a pair of McKee shakers that I use everyday. Every now and then I spot a key piece of Jadite used as a prop in a movie. 
The Birdcage
Director: Mike Nichols
Starring: Robin Williams, Nathan Lane, & Hank Azaria
Pieces Featured: Galaxy Swirl Mixing Bowl / Dinner Plate
Director: Randall Wallace

Starring: Diane Lane, Margo Martindale & John Malkovich

Pieces Featured: Fire King D Handle Restaurantware Mugs
Director: Todd Haynes
Starring: Julianne Moore & Denis Quaid
Featured Piece: Fire King D Handle Restaurantware Mug
Director: Tim Burton
Starring: Ewan MacGregor, Steve Buscemi, Albert Finney, & Billy Crudup
Featured Piece: Fire King D Handle Mug / Salad Plate
photo source
photo source
Director: Matthew Vaughn
Starring: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender,  Kevin Bacon & January Jones
Featured Pieces: Jane Ray Dessert Bowl / Jane Ray Oatmeal & Cereal Bowl
photo source
photo source
Director: James L. Brooks
Starring: Adam Sandler, Tea Leoni, Paz Vega & Cloris Leachman
Pieces Featured: Restaurantware Mug / Jane Ray Salad Plate
 
photo source
photo source
Zodiac  
Director: David Fincher
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo & Robert Downey Jr.
Piece Featured: Fire King D Handle Restaurantware Mug
Episode: Season 7, Episode 7: Noretta
Pieces Featured: Salt and Pepper Shakers with Stand / Sugar Bowl
Okay, okay, I know this on isn't a movie, but I couldn't resist! Aaron spotted the featured Jadite in this past Monday's episode of HIMYM!
I had so much fun doing the research for this post! I would like to send heartfelt thank yous to Kate of Jadite Kate and to King Jeff  from the Fire King Flickr group for pointing me in the right direction. 

Do you know of any other movies that feature Jadite pieces? Let me know! 

What do you collect?

0 comments:

Post a Comment