Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sister Act the Musical - Raise Your Voice!


 
Last night I went to see Sister Act: A Divine Musical Comedy at the Durham Performing Arts Center compliments of Yelp. Being a member of the Yelp Raleigh Elite Squad has great perks! I'm not one to pass up free theater tickets.


I met my friend Kelly M. for dinner at Tobacco Road before the show. It was a BEAUTIFUL day in Durham. Seriously, the weather was absolutely perfect! We grabbed a table on the patio overlooking the Durham Bulls stadium, which was being prepped for Saturday's home game. After dinner we walked over to DPAC for the show. We were welcomed in by a giant promo poster for Book of Mormon, which opens in February 2014. We can't wait to buy tickets! 

I was excited to see this show because the original Sister Act movie was one of our go-to favorites to watch in high school when our choir director was out and we had a substitute for the day. I was really disappointed that the arrangement of Salve Regina from the 1992 movie was not in the musical at all! It was one of our favorite songs to sing in choir, (I think I might actually still have the sheet music for it...sorry LR music department!) but I guess it got replaced. Bummer.

My favorite songs in this version were "Take Me to Heaven" and "Raise Your Voice". There were a few Catholic jokes that went right over my head (Jewish girl problems) and some of the slower numbers left me wanting more energy, but the cast did an amazing job portraying the characters from the movie and Ta'rea Campbell who played the main character, Deloris Van Cartier, had a boomin' voice that blew me away!

The show runs at DPAC through May 19th so get your butt to Durham soon if you want to see a stage filled with singing nuns in fully sequined habits perform a sparkling tribute to the universal power of friendship and love!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment