Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Great Gatsby


I am getting so excited about The Great Gatsby movie release this weekend!
The Great Gatsby was one of my favorite novels in high school that stood out against the endless list of boring required reading choices that I never connected with (lookin' at you Tale of Two Cities). 

I rediscovered Gatsby during my junior year of college at OU when I took an English class that focused on taking a critical look at our society and how social norms are portrayed through media.

I'm not a big fan of the 1920's, art deco era, but F. Scott Fitzgerald's story and the characters that he created within that world have always captured me. 

This morning when I woke up I turned on Good Morning America and they were interviewing Baz Luhrmann, who directed this cinematic version of the book. Luhrmann has been one of my favorite directors ever since I saw Moulin Rouge! for the first time (and then the next 5 times that I watched it that same day!)

In the interview Luhrmann talked about how much fun the cast and crew had on set while filming the party scenes in Gatsby's mansion. He also talked about how much his wife, Catherine Martin, who is both costume and set director inspires him. This reminded me of how F. Scott Fitzgerald was inspired by his wife, Zelda, whom he called the "first American flapper".  I love when amazing parallels like that happen!

Are you planning on going to see The Great Gatsby this weekend?

0 comments:

Post a Comment