Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cinema Sunday




Five friends go for a break at a remote cabin in the woods, where they get more than they bargained for. Together, they must discover the truth behind the cabin in the woods. Plot summary from IMDB

As a rule I don't go to see horror movies in the theater. I enjoy watching horror movies, but after a horrible experience in high school seeing The Grudge, seeing them on the big screen is not for me. 

Knowing that, I wish I had seen Cabin in the Woods earlier and in the theater. Thankfully, Aaron is amazing and got it for us to watch at home last weekend. So many Joss Whedon people!!! I really liked that this movie has the horror genre at heart, but with an added layer of introspective comedy. It's very clever and achieves turning the genre on it's head.



"In 2072, when the mob wants to get rid of someone, the target is sent 30 years into the past, where a hired gun awaits. Someone like Joe, who one day learns the mob wants to 'close the loop' by transporting back Joe's future self." Plot summary from IMDB

Aaron and I went to see Looper yesterday afternoon after we got back from the State Farmers Market. As a long time Joseph Gordon-Levitt fan, I had been looking forward to seeing his latest for a long time, and I was not disappointed. 

Looper is a sci-fi movie centered around time travel but it does a great job of not getting hung up on itself in a typical sci-fi way. It is set in the future (from now) and again the future from then (30 years forward) but it doesn't feel overdone in a sci-fi way.

Obviously Joseph Gordon-Levitt is amazing as a cocky junkie assassin, but let's be honest, he has never let me down. Even though he was made up to look like young Joe, I do not think JGL looked very much like Bruce Willis (older Joe). Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt and adorably creepy Pierce Gagnon did a great job pulling together the emotional part of the story, which gave the plot solid backing. My two favorite scenes were when one of the Looper's older self begins to disappear and at the end when Cid gets to work on a man who is threatening his mom.

Go see it!

Read More:

We have a collection of movies in our queue to watching this weekend/week so I should have more Cinema Sunday posts coming as long as I can keep up. Also, I am going to write a Fall TV post sometime this week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment