Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wedding Wednesday: The Beginning


The photo above is a beautiful (but rainy and overcast) picture of my uncle and aunts house in Annapolis, aka, the site where Aaron asked me to marry him! I touched on this for a quick bit in my weekend recap post, but I wanted to devote a full post to this milestone in our lives. I know that these are all repeat photos from the album that I posted on Facebook, and I don't have anyone else really different reading my blog, but I wanted to write up a dedicated post. If anything, it is for my happiness when I look back at these blog posts, and that's really what it's all about, right?


We were standing out on the dock after dinner being silly and taking photos and I called Dana down to join us. Aaron took a few sister shots and then I asked Dana to take a few of me and Aaron. Once they switched and I started posing, Aaron pulled out the ring from his pocket and got down on one knee. 

I was 100% surprised! After he placed the ring on my finger we ran back up to the house to tell everyone the good news. I will always remember getting the best surprise of my life on my birthday!


My ring is a custom designed piece (by Aaron, way to go baby!). It's a green amethyst with a halo of diamonds set in an "antique style" split shank white gold setting. It is exactly what I wanted! I knew that I definitely didn't want a solitaire setting and earlier this year I discovered how beautiful the green amethyst is. I was never hooked on wearing a "traditional" diamond anyway. The stone is light green/blueish and changes shades in the light. I love it!

I am going to try to post every Wednesday with a different category relating to our wedding. I will post inspiration photos and keep everyone up-to-date from now until our October 2013 wedding!

21 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations! What kind of stone is that? It's gorgeous! My centre stone is a champagne sapphire, which most people are surprised by. I love that engagement rings can so diverse now.

    It's very sweet that you have these photos as memories.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I am a lucky, lucky girl! The center stone on my ring is a green amethyst! I knew that I didn't want to go "traditional" with an expensive diamond, it just isn't me.

      A champagne sapphire sounds beautiful! I would love to see a photo for your ring!

      Delete
  2. That ring is ah-mazing! Congratulations on your engagement! My friend Jen married her hubby on Saturday (probably about the time you were getting engaged!)

    That house looks so nice with the view over the lake. So pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! August 25th is a great day!

      The house really in incredible, it even comes with it's own dock and cove!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful setting, and my god...that ring! I'm glad there exists another person in this world who does not get all worked up about diamonds. I'm much for partial to stones with color, and yours is a stunner. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! I know! He did such a good job. What color stone would pick?

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! You look very happy, and no surprise! Your ring is beautiful.

    P.S.: My husband also proposed to me on my birthday weekend, and he took a photo of me right before he did, in which I am looking very tired and confused, because we had been walking around all day and I was wondering why he made me go back into a park that we had liked and then took pictures of me from a weird angle (kneeling)... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, how exciting! Congratulations! How awesome that you got some photos taken of the big moment, too! :) Woo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Holly! I am so thankful that we have photos, not many people do!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your engagement! So happy for you, and that ring is gorgeous! My mom designs jewelry and I love when she does engagement rings, it's always awesome to be in on those lovely little surprises!

    Cant wait to read your future wedding posts :P
    Much love
    Jess
    jessbuckley.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess! I would love to see some of your mom's designs!

      Delete
  7. I'm a non facebook blog reader! This is the sweetest engagement story! And how lucky to have those pictures. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! Welcome! I am so glad to have readers that I am not related to!

      Delete
  8. that antique style is so beautiful. actually, EVERYTHING about the ring is beautiful. bookmarked for future reference... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. your ring is absolutely fabulous and I love that you captured photos of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! I am so lucky to have these photos and I know I will always cherish them.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful ring! Gorgeous color. Congrats to you and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So exciting! Congratulations! That ring is impressive, I love the pale green!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohoo! I haven't been reading all of my blogs with getting back into the swing of the new year (school) so I missed this one.....Happy Engagement!! The ring is stunning and October weddings are the best...my 5 yr anniversary is 10/21 :) Enjoy this time.

    ReplyDelete