Sunday, August 12, 2012

Cinema Sunday



As the result of a childhood wish, John Bennett's teddy bear, Ted, came to life and has been by John's side ever since - a friendship that's tested when Lori, John's girlfriend of four years, wants more from their relationship. Plot summary from IMDB

A few of my friends saw Ted early in the summer and recommended going to see it, so that is exactly what we decided to do a few Saturdays ago. Overall it was not as funny as I was expecting and I was bored with the characters and the story about halfway through. My favorite part, which is no secret to anyone since it was included in the theatrical trailer, is when John and Ted sing the thunder buddies song in bed.



Folk rock and bluegrass musicians Mumford & Sons, Old Crow Medicine Show and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes travel together by train from San Francisco to New Orleans in the spring of 2011.  Plot summary from IMDB

What is not to love about this film? Amazing folk bands, living together on a beautiful train, bringing their music to hundreds of fans. My main interest in this movie was that Mumford & Sons was part or the tour, but I also discovered that I like the music of the other bands on board as well.

I do wish there was more story to go along with the performances. There were a few short one-on-one interviews speckled throughout the film, but I didn't feel that they really came together to tell a driving story. 

With that said, the music really was the heart of this movie and that is perfectly fine with me. I will probably watch it a few more times this summer to get pumped up for the new Mumford & Sons album!



Faced with her father's fading health and environmental changes that release an army of prehistoric creatures called aurochs, six-year-old Hushpuppy leaves her Delta-community home in search of her mother.  Plot summary from IMDB

I first watched the preview for this whimsical movie last month when we went to see Moonrise Kingdom in Cary. Aaron's parents are in town visiting us this weekend so we decided to spend Saturday afternoon at the movie theater and we picked Beasts of the Southern Wild. The little girl who played Hushpuppy did a good job. Her character was a child of tough love in a tough environment, but she had a fierce spirit and love for life. 

I really enjoyed the beginning of the film when we were first being introduced to the Bathtub. I also liked the symbolic connection that Hushpuppy made to the aurochs through her prehistoric drawings about the story she was telling, but I didn't really connect with the characters well enough. 

Have you seen any good movies recently?

0 comments:

Post a Comment